Monday 22 October 2012

Rain or Shine

We caught up with the very talented and charming Justin Blampied, the man behind Rain or Shine, to talk Hollywood, commercials and bare knuckle fighting...




Picasso: What inspired Rain or Shine, where did the name come from?
Rain or Shine: Before my boys were born, my time was split between LA and London and I was looking for something that summed that up. Now theyre too old for me to leave for any length of time, so Im thinking of re-branding to Cold N Wet.




P: Where in the world were you born/grew up?
RoS: I come from a family of 'London Gypsies' my Dad was an Architect, so there was a new house to live in every year or two. There isnt a borough of London I havent lived in. Anyone today who calls me Gypo or anything similar, is immediately challenged to a bare knuckle fight in the nearest car park.





P: Where in the world do you currently live?
RoS: London, best place in the world.

P: How did you get into Design & Animation? When did you know it was for you?
RoS: By complete accident. A friend at college turned up with a copy of Premiere, before After Effects and Flame and motion graphics as it is now. There was a moment when we realised we could make our stuff move and that was it, true love.



P: Did you study Art /Design? If so, where?
RoS: Blackheath college of art, which went bust halfway through my foundation, then Camberwell.




P: How would you describe your style? How did it develop?
RoS: Thats a very tough one to answer, because Im not sure that I have a fixed style. I illustrate and do childrens books as well as film titles so its pretty broad, I like and try to do everything depending on the brief.



P: Who/What has been your biggest influence in your career?
RoS:  Crumbs, thats another toughy. My first true love was comic books, but we fell out when I started dating motion graphics. Since then Ive flirted with victorian packaging, anything animated, particularly if its from Japan, Saul Bass, because I think he may well be God, Tron, Final Fantasy, stickers, badges, the seventies, the eighties, it just goes on and on. I think the things we like change as we change and I love seeing what other people are doing, whether its in animation, design or film.
If there was a single person though, it would have to be Robert Dawson, a legend in title design who I was lucky enough to work with in LA. The Bob’ rocks.


P: Hollywood Movie Titles and Graphics; are Commercials a bit boring after that?

RoS: Not a bit. The aesthetics are usually very different. I was lucky enough to do commercials in LA along with the film stuff and I think both are brilliant, especially with the right brief, before the states I workied mainly in channel branding – so really as long as it moves, Im all over it.





P: Award winning Childrens Book Illustrator – are there more books in you?

RoS: Im working on a bunch at the moment, but apparently Im not allowed to talk about themBut yes, definitely more books, its a lot of fun and a completely different headspace.




P: Is there one specific project that you feel best sums up your style?

Ros: Not remotely. Though my favourite gig was the titles for X-men 2. Sadly it has one of the ugliest Logo resolves in the history of animation ( it was a long time ago and completely my fault ), It took my first love of comic books and my motion graphics, and put them together – I did cartwheels when we came out of the meeting for that one.






No comments:

Post a Comment